That’s so fun to say. It’s noodles, made from Zucchini. Since I’m from South Africa, I call it Courgettes or Baby Marrows. It’s a summer squash.
I LOVE pasta. I eat way too much pasta, and this is my attempt to still have the resemblance of pasta, but without the carbs. It’s easy to prepare and quick to cook.
Ingredients & Equipment:
- 2 to 3 zucchini’s, depending on how much pasta you need
- Water to cook noodles in
- Salt, pepper or any other herbs
- Julienne Peeler
- Whether you peel the skin off is up to you. With the peel on, some zoodles will have a green “edge,” making it look more vegetabley. Without the skin, it’ll look more like actual spaghetti. Depends who you want to fool. lol.
- Cut the ends off, and start peeling
There are three ways to cook ’em:
- Boil VERY BRIEFLY – This makes it soft, but can be watery if not done right. Bring water to boil with a dash of salt to boil and add zoodles. Water must be bubbling when you add the zoodles. Cook for about 15-30 seconds and drain IMMEDIATELY.
- Microwave – Toss approx 1 tablespoon of olive oil with the zoodles and place in microwave safe dish and cover with thin kitchen towel or even paper towel. Microwave for 4 minutes, toss and mix, and microwave for another 4 minutes.
- Stir fry / Saute – For 10 to 15 minutes on Olive oil, depending if you want a crunch, or cooked through and soft.
Pasta Aglio E Olio recipe via this here blog, lol and image from here – Same ingredients as the Normal Pasta Recipe. Saute garlic and chili flakes in Olive Oil, add finely chopped parsley and some water (the drained liquid if you boiled it, or just plain water.) Add zoodles and cover till soft.
Zoodles and Grape Tomatoes via Skinny Taste -In a large pan set over high heat, heat olive oil. Add some garlic and cook until golden. Add the grape / cocktail tomatoes, and crushed red pepper flakes, and season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low. Simmer, covered, until the tomatoes soften, 15 minutes. Add Zuchinni and Basil, Salt & Pepper to taste.
Creamy Basil And Pesto Zoodles via Liezljayne– Mix smashed avocado with chopped basil, fresh lemon juice, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper until well blended and service with zoodles and cherry tomotoes.
Cold Zoodle Salad – Just like normal pasta salad I guess. Boil zoodles, drain, add chopped tomato, onion, green pepper, season to taste and Mayo, place in fridge till cool and serve.
(No image for this yet, but I’ll try it soon.)
I simply adore Zoodles.
What do you think – Yay 0r Nay?